Intramuscular: start with 150-200 mg every 2 weeks
- Testosterone enanthate (Delatestryl™) — 200 mg/mL
- Testosterone cypionate — 100 mg/mL
Transdermal: start with 5 gm/day
- Androgel™ 1% packets — 2.5 gm or 5 gm/packet
- Androgel™ 1% pump - 1.25 gm/actuation
Oral: start with 120 mg/day
- Testosterone undecanoate (Andriol ™) — 40mg/tablet
Topical androgens can get transferred to others through unwashed clothes or contact with bare skin site at site of application. Patients should wash their hands after applying gel and make sure the site of application (shoulders or axilla) is covered with clothes. Unintentional exposure to androgens can cause virilization in children.
Patients > 40 years old should get regular prostate exams +/- PSA levels.
Monitor CBC for polycythemia/erythrocytosis.